What Masks Do You Wear?

I was listening to an interview recently on Starpower Collective. It is a great radio show in which the listeners are the DJs. People submit a playlist and then are selected to be interviewed. Every Wednesday, from 9pm – 11pm ET, you can hear the interview and playlist of 2 listeners. This evening during the 2nd hour, a woman named Shon Dixon was being interviewed. Since it was my daily “mommy time,” she had my full attention. I was listening and cleaning my kitchen, the kids were in bed. A quiet peaceful time before I planned to retire with a book in hand and read myself to sleep. I digress.

Well Shon shared intimately about a rough period in her life when her smiles were not a true reflection of her inner joy. She talked about how she got herself through that tough period and how and when she finally started really smiling. I connected to her and remembered this poem, learned in 3rd grade.

We Wear the Mask

WE wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream otherwise,
We wear the mask!

I too have smiled through some painful times but with transparency. That was my choice. When asked how I was doing I would often say, “Dying with a smile on my face.” I felt that I needed to tell people how I really felt. I felt that a part of my healing is to share openly. It helps me know that I am not alone and lets others know they are not alone. Unbeknown to me at the time, this simple practice of mine allowed people give me a wide berth or step in to support me. I respected their choice either way. I still feel this way.

What masks do you wear? And why? Does it serve you? What would happen if you dropped your mask? As I stated in a previous blog, “There is a lightness of being, when you simply are who you are 100% of the time.”

INjoy,
dionne

Comments

  1. You are my Joy because you share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. poker face...content(ness)...interested...
    dburke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for commenting Anonymous. I appreciate you reading my blog.

    Yes Derek, you do poker face well. Thank you for commenting.

    INjoy,
    dionne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog D .... Even Thru those hard times i go thru I keep a smile or a straight face more or less ... It would be real difficult to tell if Im having a bad day only because I wouldnt want to burden anyone .. If i sis drop my mask maybe u might see a tear , hope , inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jones World. A lot of people feel that if they share their challenges it would be a burden. However, I counter that it allows people to show you who they really are. It also allows you to practice receiving, just as beautiful a skill as giving, which is often rather difficult for many.

    Tears are cleansing too. As with all things, there needs to be a balance with what we share and what we hold. Just sayin...

    INjoy,
    dionne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts