The Power of Words

If you were a reporter for your local newspaper, what would you write a story about and why?

Siwe had to answer this question for a HS application. I was floored by the intensity and thoughtfulness of her essay. For me it was an in-depth look at the life that our children face on a daily basis. I was not where she is now when I was 14 years old.

                If I was a reporter for my local newspaper, I would write a story about the effect that words can have on a person. Every day, I see how words can positively or negatively affect the people around me to the point where the old rhyme, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me,” has lost its power. I’ve noticed that there are a few choice words that affect the people around me (and myself) the most.
                The first is “gay.” It is widely known that although “gay” has just two main dictionary definitions (happy and homosexual), it is now being used as a synonym for “dumb,” “stupid”, “pathetic”, and/or any number of other negative adjectives. Or, how just calling someone “gay,” as in homosexual, can bring out the worst in them. Recently, I witnessed a fight almost break out because a boy called another boy “gay.” They were just playing at first and then the word came out and I could see the other boy’s eyes lose their light and his whole demeanor change. His friend may have been merely joking, but the comment was not taken lightly. He jumped up, began cursing, and flipped a cafeteria table. I know the boy personally and would have never seen that coming. In this case, that one word made an extremely negative impact. Luckily, the only one hurt was the table (which may never walk again…).
                Another is less of a word and more of a topic. Rape. In my school, rape jokes are common. I, personally, have VERY close friends that have been either molested or raped (one was even impregnated at 12 as a result) that can attest to how UN-funny rape is. Nevertheless, it has become a joke. I can remember a time, 1 or 2 years ago, when a friend of mine was subject to a rape joke that hit home with full-impact. She, my friend, had been sexually molested in the past and the joke brought severe flashbacks that  brought not only the image, but also the “resolved” feelings of worthlessness, guilt , and heartache. She started mutilating herself (again) and even considered suicide (again) – all because of what someone felt was an innocent joke. Once again, luck was present. She got help, stopped cutting herself, decided against killing herself, and truly began the process of recovering and dealing with those inevitable moments.
                My last word will be a positive one. Beautiful. I am currently racking my brain to fine one person who is either unaffected by the word or negatively affected by it. I’ve yet to find a single person. Especially not myself. “Beautiful” is easily my favorite word. Being called “beautiful” can lift my spirits more than red velvet cake with chocolate ice cream. There was one time, when I had a cut on my face that I felt ugly. I thought I looked hideous and deformed. Then one of my best friend wipe my tears, kissed the cut and  assured me of my beauty. I was still down, but she had made me feel comfortable enough to leave my room. She gave me the strength to stand strong when someone asked about it. My cut is still visible, but is much less noticeable.
                These three cases show that words can cause very strong reactions – positive or negative – that the users did not expect or want. I think my article would make people more aware of what they say, which I think is important. That is why I would choose to write an article about the power of words.
Out of the mouths of babes... I could say so much about her unedited words, but I think you get it.

Words are powerful. 
     Think before you speak. 
          Choose words that motivate, educate and inspire.   
Look in the mirror and use these words on yourself and then others.

Speak love. Talk joy. Yell happiness! Move joy forward with every breath. 
          Unleash the power of joy with your tongue.  
Change your words. Change your life.

INjoy,
dionne

Comments

  1. Nice work Siwe. Beautiful........

    Your kindergarten teacher,
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, Siwe. You're a very insightful young woman. I know you make your family proud. Keep up the good work.
    --Dali Santiago (your mom's HS friend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The longer I work with children, the more I realize that Wisdom, another good word, can come from all ages. In fact, younger people are often more perceptive because they are still paying attention, while we adults often filter things out.
    Thank you for sharing this, Dionne,and Thank you for writing it, Siwe. If only this could be read by all middle school students, it might reduce the terrible stresses of name-calling, harassment, and bullying. The fact is, that words can hurt more than sticks and stones.
    All my best, Sophia Fatouros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karl, Siwe is so happy and touched that you read and commented on her writing (she smiled ear to ear when I showed her). She says this is and understatement and words cannot describe how she feels. She also says that you taught her "sticks and stones." I recall the situation in kindergarten where she was being teased about her name and teaching her that adage was timely and appropriate. Thank you for being in our cipher. Midtown West is fortunate to still have you as an educator.

    Dali, we both thank you for kind words.

    INjoy, dionne & Siwe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophia, I had to share that essay it was so timely. And I like your middle school idea. I used to write for the newsletter at her JHS, I will see if her essay can be article there. We are open to suggestions. Sophia, Siwe said your last sentence really landed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Change your thoughts, change your words, change your actions, change your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay... I want to know if Siwe would be willing to have a regular column on http://dreammgmt.wordpress.com. Give me a ring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is willing, able, excited and ready. I left you a voicemail last night. Thank you so much Sallome. INjoy, dionne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Siwe for sharing, thank you for your insights and thank you for your honesty. I knew, without looking at your picture, that you are a beautiful young woman because your words and intentions are love.
    Continue to write, we need to hear your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Humble thanks from both Siwe and I. INjoy, dionne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your words are so powerfully clear that this should be a must read for everyone in school. (And out of school for that matter!) Thank you Siwe for reminding us all to use beautiful words more often. So very proud of you!
    Caren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Fam,
    Siwe your words are so meaningful, timely and on-point. They are exactly what we all need to be reading to recognize that words have immense power...keep it up sistahoneygirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! It is great to hear from you BigWordGirl. Hope Senegal is all you need and want it to be. We will miss you and your sister for our annual kwanzaa karamu on nia. Siwe gave the biggest smile and thank you when I read her your comment. Check out her weekly response at http://dreammgmt.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/ask-siwe/. INjoy, dionne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts