“Circumstances do not make you, they reveal you."

So check out the picture of my tire, or lack thereof. I was on the New Jersey Turnpike recently my tire blew out. Thankfully, I was able to maintain control of the car and pull over to the last of the shoulder (it was ending in a few hundred yards.)



It was about 7:45 am. I was on my way to my son’s high school, Lawrenceville. All was well planned. I had my daughter sleeping in the seat next to me (how did she do that?). I had my Jill Scott CD, Collaborations playing. I had a cooler full of food for the day and a travel cup filled with mango green tea. I was looking forward to attending the Saturday classes with Sule: physics, english (study of King Arthur) and advanced algebra. We were close, but yet so far.

“Circumstances do not make you, they reveal you. How you respond to life is what makes you.”

Let me tell you, I had a ball on Saturday in spite of the tire episode. I spent a relaxing morning on the side of the road, reading, tweeting and talking to loved ones. 


Once we arrived (about 3 hours late) we were able to sit in on an absolutely riveting master class in religion. We read and discussed 2 excerpts from Charlotte’s Web. We explored what the unseen order was in EB White’s book. We chatted about our religious affiliations if any. I could easily see why Reverend Sue Ann Morrow was one of my son’s favorite teachers. We chatted with other parents and siblings, we then went to lunch and finally saw Sule. He had eaten earlier but joined us for lunch before he went to weigh in for the wrestling meet against the Peddie School. My son, captain of the wrestling team, coached and wrestled well. (He pinned his opponent in about 6 seconds. PAUSE. Proud mother moment.) 


I will cut to the chase. It was a great day and by the next day, I had forgotten about the 3 hour tire-delay. I had found quiet time, networked, chatted, shared and listened.


“I am not my circumstance.” Homeless woman in a one-woman show written and performed by Phyliss Yvonne Stickney.

That circumstance did not cause a ripple in my waters. I respond to life and somehow manage maintain my joy. This is NOT always so easy since life consistently happens right in the middle of my well-laid plans. I apparently need a lot more time to learn my lessons, give thanks and laugh at myself.


“Circumstances do not make you, they reveal you. How you respond to life is what makes you.”

What do your circumstances reveal about you?

INjoy,
dionne

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts