‘SLOW’ is spelled with four letters; so is ‘LIFE.’ ‘SPEED’ is spelled with five letters; so is DEATH.’

Let me say that again. 

SLOW’ is spelled with four letters; so is ‘LIFE.’ ‘SPEED’ is spelled with five letters; so is DEATH.’

WOW.

I am a fast-paced chick living in fast-paced NY and that quote from Robert Levine’s book, The Geography of Time struck me hard. A friend shared it with me about a month ago and it did make me reconsider my New York state of mind. Mr. Levine is right you know, every culture does keep time just a little bit differently. Even my version of slow is a bit speedy. 

Do you remember the song by Simon & Garfunkel? The 59th Street Bridge Song more commonly referred to as Feeling Groovy. If you do not recall the song, please click here to listen to it. I have a vivid memory of my younger sister proudly singing that song on stage at one of my HS performance rehearsals. 

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones.
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy.

Hello lamppost,
What cha knowing?
I've come to watch your flowers growing.
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' doo-doo,
Feelin' groovy.

Got no deeds to do,
No promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you,
All is groovy. 

I can still hear her little squeaky voice proudly singing the song she had learned. Kids inherently get the slow thing. They do not often have a sense of urgency. 

SLOW’ is spelled with four letters; so is ‘LIFE.’ ‘SPEED’ is spelled with five letters; so is DEATH.’

Take a deep breath and think about that. You can even use 2 minutes to listen to Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel singing. Pause. Get your SLOW in so you can live your LIFE. You might miss your joy if you are moving too fast. How can you slow down today? 

I am living my life
INjoy,
dionne

Comments

  1. Hi! I actually came across that quote while doing some research on the history of locomotives. It was on a small sign somewhere in India. To me it was pretty much telling locomotive operators to slow down. But this quote can be applied to every aspect of life. I'm also a speedy New Yorker trying to SLOW down. :) god bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment Randy. You are right, this quote is rather universal. Good luck on slowing your journey down. There is something special about a New York minute. ;-)

      INjoy,
      dionne

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts