There is no such thing as a perfect parent so just be a real one. – Sue Atkins

Families.
Parents.
Kids.
Fear.
Love.
Such a range of emotions are aroused with those words.

I love my kids. I have 3 amazing teenagers. That also means they are the most willful annoying brilliant helpful lazy loving beings in my world. They test me every day. They stretch my limits and force me to grow. Someone is really always on the “bench.” Could be because they are injured or on penalty. They seem to jockey for their right to be the “benchwarmer.” And you know what that means? Well, it means that I have the privilege to be on the bench with them. As the head coach, I cannot leave them there alone, even if they are keeping each other company. I get to be there. Guiding, supporting, wiping tears, hugging, nursing and holding the often hard line. Challenging role, but I rise to the occasion.

Integrity.
I am not the most patient person, but I keep my word. I set clear guidelines and hold them, as well as myself, accountable. I do so wish they did not test me so often. (In my Tweety voice, “He don’t know me very well do he.”)

Single parenting.
The most challenging part is NOT the lack of a 2nd income or even the lack of another adult role model. It is always being the “heavy,” the bad guy. We work hard. We play hard. I turned out pretty darn good. I hope they do too.

Go hug someone you love and tell them you love them. It amazes me that I hear I am a “such a ‘good’ mother” frequently. I make so many loving mistakes. A friend said to me recently that he was looking to me to see how to deal with his 10 year old son. I told him I did not think I was the right person to follow.

“Oh would some power the gift would give us, to see ourselves and others see us.” Robert Burns

Think clearly, yet follow your heart and keep your word. I guess keeping them company on the bench is not so bad. I get to be still and catch up on some reading.

There is no such thing as a perfect parent so just be a real one. – Sue Atkins

I like that quote. We can just replace the word parent with person too. 
 Yeah. I am real. I’d want me on the bench with me if I was stuck there for a while. Are you being real with your loved ones? Yourself?

In deep reflection with a heavy heart but still
INjoy,
dionne

Comments

Popular Posts