How to Turn Your Dream into Reality

This thought hit me hard recently. It was both empowering and scary all at once. It is all me. I can do it or I can muck it up. Wow.

I am the Beginning and End of my Dreams.

Sometimes it is good for dreams to end. Sometimes they are not healthy, not in our best interest or the best interest of those around us. Sometimes our dreams are amazing and MUST be brought to fruition. That is when your dream must die. It must be transformed to a goal. Think about it. There is a large difference between a dream and a goal.

I am proud to be a safe haven for my dreams, my children’s dreams, and those of my clients. But I am even prouder when people massage their dreams into goals. When Ken Campbell (my amazing kinesiology teacher) teaches, there are a lots of quotable and memorable moments. One of my favorite is that our goals should be SMART.

Specific
Measurable
Action-based
Realistic
Time-sensitive

Here are some examples of dream versus goals. Dream. I would love to visit Brazil one day. Now that is a great dream. But try this on for size. Goal. I am enjoying my time in Brazil by 12/31/2011. See the difference. Or maybe, I will lose weight by my sister’s wedding. Kind of a goal but could be more powerful. I am easily wearing a size 8 dress at my sister’s wedding. Let's go for one more. Dream. I hope I will be able to earn enough money from this consulting gig to cover the planning expenses. Goal. My family trip to Brazil in July 2010 is fully paid for by the profits from my consulting gig. Play with that for bit and see what you come up with.

We often use our limiting beliefs to enhance our prayers and thoughts. If our beliefs are limited and we are focused on them we only create more limits. As a gift from me to you, I offer this to a model to manage your dreams. Go. Dream Big. But, do NOT stop there. Turn your dreams into SMART goals. Write them down. Write them down. Write them down. Index cards are great for this. You can carry it with you, post it somewhere visible and interact with your goal frequently. State those goals daily, as often as possible. Create and live out your plan. Then share your success widely when you manifest that goal. Let your life be a testimony to your dream factory.

I am the Beginning and End of my Dreams.

You know what? YOU are too. Here is a 5-step process to move your dreams into reality. The most challenging piece is creating SMART goals.

1.       Dream Big.
2.       Turn your dreams into SMART goals.
3.       WRITE them down. Read and state goals out loud daily.
4.       Create and LIVE your plan.
5.       Share your success WIDELY.

Let me know how that works for you.

INjoy,
dionne

Comments

  1. I hadn't read this. But you are correct - synchronicity. I learned about SMART from the Self-Expression & Leadership Program in 2006. In our crew when someone says "if", we correct them quickly, "WHEN." And when people tell me a goal they have I usually ask "by when" or "what do you have to tackle first to make that happen?" I love this work... And I will be glad for the I AM challenge when we are doing more introspection and less marching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! SMART goals move life forward! I love this work too Sallome. Thank you for BEING.

    I will DEFINITELY check out the I AM challenge. I am phenomenal DOer, for me 2011 is about BEing.

    INjoy,
    dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful nuggets of wisdom Dionne. Thank you for being!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts