Did you know that July is National Minority Mental Health Month?

Did you know that July was National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month? Well I only learned of it this year. It has been my honor and privilege to speak to many people publicly and privately about what that means for me. 






The inaugural #NOshame day was launched on July 2nd via The Siwe Project. It was more successful than we could have imagined. I recall the conversation with Bassey Ikpi when she shared her vision. I read the tweets and blogs throughout day and authored one.


My name is dionne and I have NO SHAME. I gave birth to a brilliant girl that lived with depression until she ended her life 6.29.11


That one statement was powerful for me as a caregiver of someone that lived and died with a diagnosed mental illness. Life happens every day in spite of our plans. Live in the light with NO shame.


I work hard. I play hard. So as National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month comes to a close I will take a vacation. I will unplug from the proverbial matrix. I will meditate, practice yoga daily and commune with nature daily. This is how I will recharge my battery and maintain my mental health. Until next week... How will you honor yourself? How have you honored yourself? 


INjoy,
dionne

Comments

Popular Posts