Sankofa. Do You Journal?

Sankofa




Sankofa is an Akan word that means, "We must go back and reclaim our past so we can move forward; so we understand why and how we came to be who we are today." There are many interpretations of Sankofa, but all involve the past. For me, this “extra” day, February 29, 2012, was a day of fasting, exercise and reflection.

Do you journal?
I have been an avid “journaler” since JHS. I love picking up these varied and sundried notebooks to see how I have grown and how I have remained the same. A lot of my journaling has been replaced by blogging, tweeting and FB statuses. What is interesting is I can review the notes and recall vividly what was happening at that time. Even if all the blogs, tweets and FB statuses have some smoke and mirrors involved. So looking at my blog from February 2011, Say Yes, brings a myriad of emotions as I remember, reflect and acknowledge a few things:

  1. I am in the same place with saying yes to life and that feels good.
  2. I am preparing to celebrate Siwe’s 16th birthday without her on March 8th, International Working Women’s Day. That is surreal.
  3. I am preparing to welcome my eldest son, Sule, home from his first college spring break.
  4. I have ended an era in my life in corporate America.
  5. I have lost about 70 pounds.
  6. I am in the ideal intimate relationship.
  7. I am fulfilling on dreams and promises to myself.
  8. My house is still cluttered! Ha! 
  9. I can lovingly laugh at myself and forgive myself my many failings and celebrate my successes.


My journals help me with Sankofa. Photes connect me to Sankofa. Talking with my elders connects me to Sankofa. How do you reclaim your past so you can move forward? Do you reflect on your past without guilt merely from a factual perspective? Can you? This simple powerful act is crucial to understanding who you are and how you came to be who you are today.




I share with you lovingly, Sankofa. Try it out. 


INjoy,
dionne



Comments

Popular Posts