9 Years Later #siwelives

Healing is subtle. There is constant unending pain for the first year or so. It lessens so gradually that you do not notice it. Anniversaries (birthday and death-day) have been interesting to say the least. I prepare for them. I believe that #successrequiresplanning. And by success, I mean I do not drown in tears on June 29th. 

 
Siwe Monsanto 3/8/1996 - 6/29/2011

2020 has been such an unexpected growth year. I was so busy sheltering-in-place in Kenya that it seems like I forgot to feel the pain of her loss. I was almost halfway through June before I realized the 9th anniversary of her death by suicide was coming. In a 2013 post, I shared how June 29th was my personal 9/11. Now, 9 years after her death, grief is different.

As a gift to you, I leave you this beautiful picture of my daughter, Siwe. I will highlight the quote and give you ways to show up for yourself and others. The filter on the picture says:

Smile. You never know who's falling in love with it.

I love that concept. My smile, your smile, a smile is a gift. I give mine freely unless it is so deep inside I cannot bring it out. 

Below are some ways to show up for yourself and others:

15 acts of kindness 
15 minutes of meditation and/or prayer
15 minutes of walking and/or being in nature
$15 donated to a charity
15 minutes of mirror work
15 calls/letters for justice #blacklivesmatter
15 minutes of phone calls to verbally tell people you care about them

15
She lived for 15 years
Give 15 for Siwe on Monday, June 29th, 2020

Thank you for reading this. Thank you for being you. Please tell me what you chose to do, if anything. I heal when I hear from you. Please and thank you.

INjoy,
dionne
#siwelives
#loveNEVERdies



 

Comments

  1. Dionne, words cannot express how much I appreciate your words. Thank You. Thank you on so many levels but most of all thank you for your Love, Wisdom, and Strength. I miss walking into the den and seeing your Big beautiful generous smile..that i know has a the best warm hug coming right behind it! I miss you. I LOVE YOU! #15onThe29th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dionne you are such an inspiration. It amazes me how you can turn your pain into healing. Not only you but others. That is a gift. I am grateful I have met you. I compromise to do 5 of your ideas for you and for Siwe. Keep smiling you are a blessing! #15onthe29

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts